VILLEROY AND BOCH " FLYING SAUCER" VASE 1960s
Villeroy and Boch stoneware vase in "saucer" shape, ethnic decoration of circular lines incised in white on a brown background. 1960s.
Height 10cm at the neck
Stamp Villeroy and Boch engraved below
Villeroy and Boch
This ceramic production company was created in 1748 by François Boch in Audun-Le-Tiche (Moselle). In 1791 Nicolas Villeroy founded a pottery factory in Vaudrevange in Saarland (today Wallerfangen). In 1809, Jean-François Boch acquired the former Benedictine abbey of Mettlach on the banks of the Saar. He fitted out this baroque building to install an ultra-modern tableware factory, almost entirely mechanized. It was in 1836 that Jean-François Boch and Nicolas Villeroy brought together the three sites in Mettlach to become the Villeroy et Boch brand. This company will be well known for the manufacture of its floor tiles, its sanitary and high-end bathrooms, while continuing to manufacture tableware. After 1960 the brand turned to design by calling on many artists including Maria Kohler.