Rare ceramic cup by Jean de Lespinasse 60s
Rare free-form cup by Jean de Lespinasse (1896-1979), enamelled ceramic, decoration of red paving stones in relief separated by white lines, black interior. 1960s.
Signed on the back JDL and numbered 568
Jean de LESPINASSE (1896- 1979)
Resistance fighter on the Côte d'Azur during the Second World War, Jean de Lespinasse created with his wife SOCFRA which produced ceramics from the end of the 1940s in Nice. Their path will then cross that of Roger Capron and his wife Jacotte, the Madoura workshops, Robert Picault or Georges Tardieu. He has, with his wife, shops in Saint-Paul de Vence, Sainte Maxime and Vallauris. All the pieces come from his workshop in Nice, which ceased its activity on his death in 1979. He signed "Jdl". The pieces signed by the Jean de Lespinasse workshop are generally large, nervous and very structured. Above all, we note a great work in the enamel, between the mats and the glosses, which demonstrates a great mastery of the art of ceramics. Bibliography: "Marks and signatures of art ceramics from the Cöte d'Azur" by Jean-Claude Martin, Sudarènes editions, page 128.
You might also like